December 23rd, 2017
Did you ever look at your nails? Are they strong and healthy? Or do you notice unusual colour or shape, ridges and dents? Nails reflect the state of your health and their appearance can be an indication of lack of certain vitamins and nutrients.
What is “normal” about nails and what is not?
Nails are made up of a protein called ‘Keratin’. They grow from the base of the nail under the cuticle. Healthy nails are smooth, without pits and uniform in colour. Sometimes nails develop harmless vertical ridges that run from the cuticle to the tip of the nail. It can develop white line due to injury. Some abnormal condition of nail makes you consult a doctor. If you notice:
• Changes in nail colour.
• Changes in nail shape, such as curled nails.
• Bleeding around the nail.
• Swelling or pain around the nails.
Find out here, how to take care of your nails so that they are always beautiful, strong and healthy.
1. Nail Creams: Using cream is not enough. In order to take good care of your nails, use special nail cream to protect your nails.
2. Choose non-toxic nail polish: Ingredients like toluene, formaldehyde, camphor, tosylamide, dibutyl phthalate are toxic to your health and nails. Avoiding synthetic substances will benefit your nails as well as keep toxins away from reaching your bloodstream.
3. Keep nails dry and clean: Repeated contact with water can split nails. Too much exposure to water can weaken your nails.
4. Use gloves: When you’re washing dishes, cleaning or using harsh chemicals, use gloves(preferably made of rubber) protect your nails. Rubber gloves are beneficial for protecting nails and hence, are your nails’ best friends!
5. Manicure: To protect your nails and cuticles, do manicure once a month. For effective results, do it in the salon. Ex: O2 Spa and Salon (just saying)
6. Apply nail hardener: It helps to strengthen the nails.
7. Hygienic practice: Use manicure scissors or clippers to trim your nails.
8. Give break for nails from nail polish: Regular usage of nail polish makes your nails dry and dehydrated. Give your nails time to rest and repair with a clear gloss/no nail polish.
9. Balanced diet: Good food affects your looks. Fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamins and minerals, which helps to maintain good nails. Having a balanced diet will bring a natural shine/gloss to your nails.
10. Don’t cut cuticles: Cuticles give protection to nails. Apply cuticle remover gel or cream and slowly push cuticles with a cuticle stick.
No special treatments or care will help you if you don’t know how to keep your nails at home. While, the salon experts can help you bring the special look to your hands, it’s up to as to how well you maintain your nails.
These are some of the many tips to take care of your nails. If you know more, share in the comment section below.